Green design is design that goes beyond being just efficient, attractive, on time and on budget. It is design that cares about how such goals are achieved, about its effect on people and on the environment. An environmentally responsible professional makes a commitment to constantly try to find ways to diminish design’s impact on the world around us. It is also a smart way of doing business: sustaintable design is the fatest growing segment of our industry.
As a side note, this website is hosted by a company that uses wind-power to run all its servers. Every little bit helps. :^)
What makes a project or a building green?
A sustainable approach to design should create buildings and interiors that
- are healthier for people and enhance productivity;
- can be built at market rate and cost much less to operate;
- use less fossil fuels thus conserving energy, generating less global pollution and saving on operational costs by requiring less maintenance;
- use less water;
- manage waste at the highest productive level; reduce impacts on both developed and undeveloped land;
- minimize the use of material and use materials with the lowest environmental impacts.